Thursday, November 4, 2010

Yummy soup for fall

We had this for dinner tonight, and it was so delicious! I came up with the recipe as I went, trying to incorporate/use a lot of the veggies I had sitting in the fridge. ~ The type of stuff that comes in our  co-op basket and doesn't get used up right away because nobody much cares for it. 

The soup was definitely much better than the sum of its parts!! I'll call this recipe...
 
Autumn's Bounty Soup


2 tbsp butter
1/2 large onion
2-3 cloves garlic
8-10 cups broth (chicken, beef, and/or vegetable)
2 stalks celery
2 large carrots
1 head cauliflower
1 butternut squash
3-5 potatoes
1 bunch kale
1 lb bulk Italian sausage
1 cup heavy cream, half and half, or whole milk
salt
pepper
curry powder
nutmeg
thyme
vegetable bouillon cube, Vegeta, or something similar

1. Wash, peel and/or dice all vegetables.

2. In a large pot, sautee onion and garlic until translucent and fragrant. Add broth, and all other vegetables except for the kale.

3. Cover and simmer gently until vegetables are tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. Next, use a potato masher or stick blender to mash the ingredients a little without pureeing them.

4. While soup is simmering, cook up sausage in a frying pan, breaking it into small pieces. When soup is ready, add sausage. Remove pot from heat, and gently stir in cream.

5. Season to taste with spices. You will only need tiny bits of each, as the broth and seasonings in the sausage will already give the soup a lot of flavor. Add bouillon cube or Vegeta for additional flavor, if you like.

6. Stir torn pieces of kale into soup. Serve with hot buttered French bread on the side. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Looks good. This recioe can easily be adapted to whatever vegetables one has available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I just want to say I love reading your post. I myself am an independent fundamental baptist.
    I have a question Id like your opinion on.

    I have gone to the same church since I met my Husband 4 years ago. We started with a FANTASTIC bible preaching pastor. He was very firm on his beliefes and he actually led me to Christ. He was not scared to address any issue and I loved that because I had convictions in his services daily. we now have a new pastor that has been there a couple years and I feel like he bends the rules wayt too much. He never preaches on hard topics that tend to get people upset. He seems to form to what people want him to believe. His son and daughter in law just started a young married couples class, and since we just got married my husband and I attend it. We get very discouraged and find ourselves not wanting to go because they never preach out of the bible, rather the preach out of marriage books written by others. My husband finds this terribly wrong because he believes everything you need to know is in the bible. I feel like we should still attend because God wants us in Church whenever the doors are open, but he doesnt feel like the marriage class is worth going to. We have talked about finding another church, but sadly there are no other IFB churches in our area. Any adivce? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy! I'm a hopeless cook so I always look forward to your recipes. I look forward to the day I can make up recipes as I go haha.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.